This section has detailed instructions for what you need to submit, via Victoria and Karen or Lizette, to OUSD to obtain access to our Title IIA (general professional development funds for program staff). This section also contains links to the four forms that must be submitted. Please note where original signatures are required on the forms.

    Please contact the following people with questions:

    Professional Development Funds Access through OUSD

    General Information Updated August 2015


    These funds are currently called Title IIA. Title IID for technology no longer exists. Under a former president, they were called “No Child Left Behind.” Generally, each new administration comes up with a plan and title for these funds, and the amount of the funds and the way we can use them as an independent school changes very little. We are given funds on a per-pupil basis. The funds come from the feds and are managed by OUSD and are used primarily for professional development. The funds cannot be used for student materials (manipulatives, student workbooks, student literature, etc.) but can be used for teaching materials (professional books, teacher’s guides). Because these are federal funds, their use is governed by that body and all that is done and decided via OUSD is based on federal compliance.

    See below for OUSD staff and their contact information. They have added a new position this year, an assistant, which should further streamline our access to information and funding. After some period of changed management at OUSD and restrictions, things have settled and we are moving forward with a productive partnership with OUSD. Additionally, they have hired more staff and will now register you and pay for conferences upfront when possible (rather than reimbursing) and even make and pay flight and hotel arrangements when necessary, with input from you. In fact, they strongly prefer this method at this time. Read on!


    Employees at PDS who can use these funds include classroom teachers in academic programs (which now includes foreign language, music, theater and art) and staff participating in faculty program leadership. PDS employees who do not have access to these funds have Park Day’s professional development funds available to them. Whenever possible, we use our Title II funds prior to using our Park Day funds.


    The sole purpose of the bulk of our funds (Title IIA) is to“create more highly qualified teachers in order to raise student achievement.”It is important to remember this purpose when writing requests for professional development.


    These funds represent the bulk of our professional development funds at PDS at this time. The fiscal year runs July through June.We get preliminary funding in July or August, and sometimes additional“carryover” funding somewhere between late November and late February. In general, our annual funding has been around 25k (though it is not all disbursed to us at the start of the school year). Carryover funds are not kept in an account for us, but represent any money not spent in the previous fiscal year by all the participating schools that is reallocated in the current school year. The carryover amount varies a great deal.

    There is a cut off date for any funding requests for the fiscal year ending June 30 in early April. See enumerated notes below for info on how to submit requests for use of these funds. Checks cannot be written to PDS for reimbursement. They can only be written to employees of PDS / conference attendees who have a "vendor number." All new employees need to fill out a form to get a vendor number from Karen.

    Karen manages these funds in conjunction with Lizette and regularly provides Jon with spending requests and spreadsheet updates. We strive to meet all funding requests. An in-depth overall school plan is written by Karen and Lizette each June and submitted to OUSD before any funds can be allocated.The plan can be altered once it is submitted. There is additional paperwork required in order to access the funds for professional development by the person requesting the funds and steps are provided below. Karen and Lizette keep ALL paperwork related to funding requests. It is very important that we adhere to the steps and timelines below.
    Contacts at OUSD:
    Maria Beltran, Coordinator, Special Programs
     Joaquin Garcia, Assistant to Coordinator
    State and Federal Compliance
    Oakland Unified School District
    1000 Broadway Ste. #450
    Oakland, CA 94607
    Phone: 510-879-1053

    Steps to Access Title IIA Funds

    To attend a conference, workshop, etc. you must contact Karen or Lizette and let them know of your request and then complete and provide the following 30 days prior to the event. There is no longer any latitude given with this date.

    • You must have a vendor number. New employees see Karen or Lizette to obtain this number. Also, if you change your address there is a form to complete as reimbursements are mailed directly to your home address. It is your responsibility to obtain these forms and turn them in.
    • Complete the Request to Attend a Conference Part B. Please fill this out thoughtfully with the goals of the Title II funds in mind. Please type and submit to Karen/Lizette electronically or, preferably, by scanning. Re-title the form and include your name.  
    • Complete the preliminary cost estimate form Part A. This document must have your original signature in the space provided. It is used only for expenses actually incurred by you. Complete this electronically if possible and re-title the form with your name, sign, scan and give to Karen/Lizette.

    Note: we generally cover the entire cost of the workshop, major travel such as airfare and accommodations. We do not reimburse for food at PDS.

    • Provide a flyer or website page (to prove that this event exists).
    • Complete any registration forms required by the event organizers.
    • It is best if all paperwork is scanned together on our copier once signed and completed and sent to Karen and Lizette electronically.

    Let the staff at OUSD know if you would like them to complete the registration for you.

    To get reimbursed after the event you must submit the following within 10 days after the event. Again, there is no latitude with this time frame. You must fill this out whether OUSD staff registered you, or you registered yourself.

    • Complete the Report of Conference / Workshop attendance Part D. Please do so electronically and re-title it with your name.
    • Complete the Statement of Travel and Expense form Part C. Just complete this for expenses you personally incurred. If PDS or OUSD registered you for the event that is prepaid and not included on your form. Re-title it with your name. This form must have your original signature.
    • All ORIGINAL receipts (copies okay). An invoice or itinerary is different from a receipt. A receipt shows what you paid and actually did, not what you planned to pay or do. You must submit your cancelled check or copy of a credit card bill or a registration invoice or travel fare that states "paid by credit card" with your name and the last four digits of your account number. You can access these online today so you don’t need to wait for your bill to arrive. You can black out other info on your bill or receipt if you wish, and all but the last four digits of your credit card number if you wish.
    • Any certificate of completion that was provided to prove you not only paid, but actually attended the event. Ask for this form if it is not provided.
    • It is best if all paperwork is scanned together on our copier once signed and completed and sent to Karen and Lizette electronically.
    • See conference / class reimbursement check off list.


    Printed material orders:

    Teacher’s guides and professional books are ordered by OUSD on our behalf. Submit requests and order forms to Karen or Lizette and we will let you know if your request meets the criteria and if funding is available. If we are able to access the funds for your order, you will need to fill out an order form completely and give it to Karen or Lizette. When your materials arrive, you must give Karen or Lizette the packing slip. The vendor cannot be paid until a copy of the packing slip is scanned and sent to the OUSD office.

    There are four forms that must be submitted to attend a workshop or conference. Two forms prior to the workshop/conference and two post workshop/conference. Please download the forms here. Also below are your vendor numbers.


    Here are 2 documents with general information on OUSD's Professional Development opportunities.