Employment at Park Day School
EMPLOYMENT OVERVIEWPark Day School MissionAt Park Day School, dedicated teachers and engaged students collaborate to create a dynamic and joyful learning community for mastering academic and interpersonal skills. Students construct meaning and deep understanding through inquiry and discovery-based teaching. Our practices promote critical and creative thinking, artistic expression, and a commitment to diversity and social justice. In the spirit of partnership and service, students expand their perspectives through participation in the broader community. Continuing the legacy of the progressive education movement, Park Day School prepares students to be informed, courageous, and compassionate people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world.The SchoolAt Park Day School, expert teachers and dedicated staff are committed to the enterprise of providing a place where students learn deeply, think creatively, act compassionately, and live fully.Founded in 1976, Park Day offers an outstanding coeducational K-8 program to over 300 students. The school community embraces the ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic diversity of Oakland. The school is rooted in the tenets of progressive education and reinforces 21st Century learning. Our student-centered approach cultivates deep thinkers and compassionate and courageous people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world. Park Day is a leader in public purpose initiatives; our community outreach program collaborates with public schools and community groups to create meaningful service-learning opportunities for our students.Located in the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, the school is situated on a four-acre campus that has been described as "glorious" and "a jewel" with trees,gardens, and quiet niches as well as outdoor play and athletic facilities; it is a campus for all ages. Park Day has become a leader in developing innovative educational connections between campus and classroom, including our living labs, specialized learning gardens, nature zone, chicken coop, and edible gardens.
POSTING: Full Time Upper Elementary Classroom Teacher—Jan.-June 22
Overview of the Position
Reporting to the Lower School Director, the school seeks a vibrant teacher who brings creativity and innovation to their teaching practice. Class size is between 16-18 students, and there is a part time Teaching Assistant. The hiring process will include a screening interview with two administrators, with finalists returning for a second round demonstration lesson and interview with the full hiring committee.
In the Lower School self-contained classroom the lead Teacher is responsible for:
- All aspects of the academic curriculum including social-emotional learning, language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
- Conducting ongoing formative student assessment to guide and plan instruction so that students reach their full potential.
- Collaborating with the grade level partner teacher and teaching assistant to ensure as much program cohesiveness and continuity as possible.
- Communicating proactively and routinely to families: writing newsletters, conferencing with families twice yearly as well as when additional needs arise and writing progress reports each semester.
- Teaming with administrators, learning specialists, and specialist teachers to support students throughout the day.
- Managing classroom budget for supplies, equipment and books to stay within allotted budget.
- Supervising recess on a daily basis and lunch on a monthly basis.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least five years of exemplary lead classroom teaching experience and a valid California Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential.
- Be well-versed in progressive educational theory and practices and be culturally competent to build an inclusive community.
- Have a proven track record of working successfully in a diverse student environment that upholds high values in social justice education and practices.
- Possess a working understanding of developmental / constructivist teaching practices and social-emotional learning.
- Have experience meeting a wide range of student learning styles and needs via multiple modalities; facile in differentiating instruction in each subject area.
- Have a nurturing, supportive, and clear tone with students, and experience with collaborative teaching.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume with at least 3 professional references to: email@example.com
POSTING: On Call K-8 Substitute Teachers
Overview of the Position and Qualifications
We are seeking individuals with elementary or middle school classroom experience and/or education to work on an on-call basis to substitute teach in lower school self contained classrooms, middle school single subject classrooms and/or arts and physical education programs. An understanding of progressive educational theory and practices is preferred. We also seek candidates who are comfortable working in a diverse learning environment. We are seeking candidates who have a nurturing and supportive tone with students. The substitute teacher will be responsible for implementing the daily lesson plans and adhering to the posted schedule. Interested candidates will undergo a thorough orientation training to understand our progressive and collaborative professional environment. A valid teaching credential is strongly desired.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume with at least 2 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or, mail to: Karen Colaric, Lower School Director, at
Park Day School
360 42nd StreetOakland, CA 94609
Park Day School actively seeks to build a diverse student, staff and parent community. We are an avid equal opportunity employer and seek applicants who reflect the rich diversity of the Bay Area. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, family-care status, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, faith or veteran status.
PDS is an EEO employer and follows all applicable employment laws.