Park Day's Hot Lunch Program:
• Reduces waste – By using washable dishes and cutlery from the kitchen, there is minimal waste.Food scraps become compost for our Park Day chickens and worms.
• Saves time – No time spent shopping for and/or making lunches.
• Does away with lunch boxes – No more money wasted on reusable lunch containers that eventually get moldy or are left in the lost and found.
• Helps keep it local – We’re able to order fresh, local organic produce (when possible) through the family of farms we’ve connected with for the Park Day Farm Box.
• Builds community – Sharing food is one of the ways we connect. Sitting down to a hot lunch together provides additional opportunities for connections between students, particularly in the upper grades.
SIGN-UP FORM AND SAMPLE MENU
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSIn past years, we have enjoyed an overwhelmingly positive response to the Hot Lunch Program, a record we strive to continue. The lunch menus are selected with kids and nutrition in mind. Each day, there will be a hot item, a vegetarian option (if there is a meat dish), soup, a salad bar and a sandwich option. Many dishes are prepared with individual tastes and/or needs in mind, like offering sauces on the side. Your child should have no problem finding something fresh and yummy to eat each day!
How do I know my child will like the lunch?
My child is a vegetarian. What will s/he eat?
When a meat dish is offered, there is a vegetarian option for the hot plate, as well as a fully stocked salad bar, soup (often vegetarian) and sandwich option.
How do I know the food will be both tasty and nutritious?
Nel Dias da Silva, of Panetto Kitchen is an experienced chef with years of experience in preparing food for many of the Bay Areas finest restaurants. He has worked in the past 10 years as a bakery director for the Market Hall in Rockridge and is excited to join the Park Day lunch program and introduce new selections to our menu, with special attention to whole grains. He and his staff use fresh ingredients, tried and true recipes, and continually respond to the feedback our students and staff provide. Menus are selected with the nutritional needs of kids in mind.
What do I do about lunch when my child is scheduled to be on a field trip?
Hot lunch is served every school day between 11:30 and 12:30pm. No lunch, credit or special arrangement is provided for students off campus during the lunch hour. This includes students who are out sick, at an appointment,or off campus to attend a field trip, play rehearsal or any other event. If a field trip or other event is organized where kids will be away from campus during lunch, parents need to send a bag lunch.